[DCRM-L] the RDA proposals re expressing pagination

Erin Blake EBlake at FOLGER.edu
Tue Aug 31 12:36:43 MDT 2010

As a non-cataloger and a provider of reference services, I've found the
statement of extent for rare books accounts for each page very well,
using a succinct standard formula, BUT it often fails to do something
else important for many users: letting us know how big the book is.

When I see "[18], 303, [1], 46, 49-100, [2], 69-232, [2], 79-80, [26],
98, [2], 109-156, 257-993 [i.e. 399], [1] p."  I know that I can easily
check it against a standard bibliography, but I'd have to get out a
calculator and use all my fingers to determine how many pages there are.
Is this book likely to provide me with a lot of information on the
topic, or just a little?

If a revised DCRM(B) ignored the "Early Printed Resources" exception in
RDA's "Complicated or Irregular Paging, Etc." and instead went with
standard option (a) plus a mandatory note on pagination, I could have my
cake and eat it, too:

Existing RDA text:

3.4.5.8. If the resource has complicated or irregular paging, etc.,
record the number of pages, leaves, or columns using one of the
following methods:

a) Record the total number of pages, leaves, or columns (excluding those
that are blank or contain advertising or other inessential matter)
followed by in various pagings, in various foliations, or in various
numberings, as appropriate.

  Example: 1000 pages in various pagings

Hypothetical DCRM(B) addition: always provide pagination in a note.

The "advertising or other inessential [sic] matter" opens up a can of
worms (is a half-title essential?) but DCRM(B) 5B5.2. does already say
"Make a note to indicate the presence of pages that only contain
advertisements."

Thanks,

    EB.

Erin C. Blake, Ph.D.  |  Curator of Art & Special Collections  |  Folger
Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE  | Washington, DC
20003-1004  |  office tel. (202) 675-0323  |  fax:  (202) 675-0328  |
eblake at folger.edu  |  www.folger.edu