[DCRM-L] the RDA proposals re expressing pagination

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Tue Aug 31 13:17:34 MDT 2010

I would be disappointed if we had to compromise so far as to bury the facts
about the physical make-up of the complete text block and its appurtenances
in a note. A brief form of description that incorporates that information
for comparative purposes is always desirable for those who can use the
information. If anything, I'd settle for say "908 pages in various pagings
([18], 303, [1], 46, 49-100, [2], 69-232, [2], 79-80, [26], 98, [2],
109-156, 257-993 [i.e. 399], [1] pages)" as an optional parenthetical
addition. (I'm hoping that my arithmetic is correct--I might be able to tot
it up more easily from a proper Bowers-style registration of the pagination,
with the collational formula as a check (pages must equal leaves times 2).

A principle that is foundational to the rare book rules is that the "extent"
must account for all pages of all integral leaves, together with plates,
etc. that conform to ideal copy. RDA's exceptions to this are similar to
AACR, and likewise call for different treatment in DCRM(B). The detailed
register is a result of an assessment of the integrity of the book
(old-timey phrase: "collated & perfect", or C&P for those who can tolerate
abbrev).

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-3384 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU