[DCRM-L] Question about 5B9.1: counting leaves of plates folded and bound at the inner margin

Jeff Barton jpbarton at princeton.edu
Thu Dec 2 08:13:16 MST 2010

I have a book, Tabart's "True History of a Little Old Woman" (1806) which
raised a similar question to me.  There's a 4-panel frontis. panorama (also
found bound in at the end in some copies), bound in at the middle and folded
out by opening each of two facing double-leaves.)  It's difficult to tell
for sure if this was all printed together on one large leaf and then folded,
or printed on 4 separate leaves, the same size at others, and then joined by
the published, due to later reinforcement of the hinged places, but I think
it was originally one engraved sheet.)

Would this properly be counted as one leaf (with the fold-out noted in the
300 field description, with the dimensions, and detailed more in a 500
note), rather than as four leaves?

This leaf is printed on one side only, while the 12 other illustrated leaves
in the book are printed back-to-back on both sides of the leaf, as is most
of the text, so I think that "pages" is the appropriate unit for them?  So
we might wind up with illustrated leaves and pages in the description, which
could be confusing?  (Especially since the book was later issued with the 4
panorama leaves cut up and bound in as separate leaves so the number of ill.
leaves in the 300 field could help distinguish the two variations.)

Thanks for any thoughts!

Jeff Barton

Cotsen Children's Library Cataloger

Rare Books & Special Collections Department

Princeton University Library

One Washington Rd.

Princeton, NJ 08544

 <mailto:jpbarton at princeton.edu> jpbarton at princeton.edu