[DCRM-L] FW: Correction Re: DPC: Wording of i/j u/v conversion inDCRM

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Wed Dec 8 08:26:27 MST 2010

Is it clear that what you're discussing is the *default* rules? If it's
possible to establish the printer's usage quickly and certainly, then, in
changing case, we follow that usage for the target case. There are various
gothic and swash I's that look like J, where the printer might well use
initial i in lower case. The main principle is to determine, for each
character in each of its possible positions, whether one is looking at
alternate graphic representation of the same "orthographic entity" (pedantic
humor alert...) or orthographically distinct characters. (This can get
weird: some C17 German printers followed pronunciation in e.g. "qvam",
"...qve" in modern usage of u/v.)

The whole thing is wretchedly artificial, in any case. It conveys no
information that we would normally concern ourselves with--we don't normally
include typography notes on details of the printer's alphabet; and it can
obscure information that transcription is otherwise intended to convey,
since the actual character cannot always be unambiguously inferred from the
transcription, absent such a note. This is not fully compensated by 246s for
the title proper alone.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-3384 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU