[DCRM-L] DCRM and RDA

John Attig jxa16 at psu.edu
Thu Dec 9 17:13:23 MST 2010

On 12/9/2010 6:43 PM, Manon Theroux wrote:
> MARC21 has this example:
> Leader/18 	i
> 040 	##$aDLC$cDLC$erda$edcrmb
> http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd040.html
>
> Is this how LC is coding records created according to LCPS 0.2? (DCRM
> rules + RDA access points)?
>
> It seems like such a strange mix of standards ... the $e rda would
> only apply to the access points and the $e dcrmb would apply to the
> rest of the record.
>
> Does it mean we don't need to worry about "RDA-izing" the DCRM rules?
> We can just keep creating DCRM records, code them as above, and update
> the access points to new forms as needed? And even though LC is making
> the cut-off at 1801, we don't necessarily have to follow suit?

I read the LCPS as an interim decision that (for LC catalogers) DCRM(B)
could be applied in conjunction with RDA.  However, I'm sure that they
would prefer that the DCRM standards eventually be revised to relate
more directly to RDA.

I believe that the rare materials cataloging community needs to look at
RDA and what implementation of RDA might mean for the DCRM standards.  I
am still hoping to complete a discussion paper on options for revising
DCRM in the light of RDA in time for discussion at Midwinter.  Stay tuned.

         John Attig
         Penn State University
         jxa16 at psu.edu