[DCRM-L] Call no. flags

Randal Brandt rbrandt at library.berkeley.edu
Thu Feb 11 13:12:21 MST 2010

We use strips of acid-free paper cut about 2.5 in. wide We place both
the barcode and the call no. label on these strips. The labels are
printed from within Millennium. We use the built-in label printing
program, but our Systems people had to make serious modifications to it
to accommodate the massive variety of types of call numbers generated in
the UC Berkeley libraries (not just special collections). All of the
label printing is done by student employees.

Like others have mentioned, these flags can get separated from the books
so we also pencil in the call number at the back of the book.

Pros of printing the labels: Legibility, uniform formatting, easy, fast

Randy

--
Randal Brandt
rbrandt at library.berkeley.edu
http://bancroft.berkeley.edu
"It's hard enough to remember my opinions without
remembering my reasons for them"--The Streets.