[DCRM-L] Call no. flags

Fisher, Sarah sarah.fisher at yale.edu
Thu Feb 11 13:34:20 MST 2010

Hi Ryan,

We use acid-free natural white card stock cut in 2 3/8" x 10" strips.  Our programmer developed a call tag and call label printing program that pulls the call number out of the item record in Voyager. We use to use a type writer and there are numerous typos in the stacks from this past-practice. Now at least we know the call number on the item matches what is in catalog record. We use to order call tags (Rare Book ID strips) from a certain archival supply company, however last summer we discovered a local company offers the acid free paper in the correct color and weight and they will cut the sheets to our measurements at a much more reasonable cost.  We never considered the tags that have the cut-out flaps for the reasons that have been mentioned.

Prior to using a type writer, our old call tags have hand written call numbers, these at times can be hard to read, given different versions of "library hand".  While I haven't noticed a problem with the call tags becoming separated from the volume, we do write the call number in the volume, so easy to reunite. We place the barcode on the verso of the call tag.

Hope this helps,
Sarah

Sarah S. Fisher
Head, Printed Acquisitions
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
Yale University
(203) 432-2975
sarah.fisher at yale.edu<mailto:sarah.fisher at yale.edu>