[DCRM-L] Non-LC classification

Schaffner,Jennifer schaffnj at oclc.org
Thu Jan 21 09:14:56 MST 2010

David, Ryan and friends,

I've largely worked at institutions that do not allow readers to browse
in the stacks. We've expected users to browse only in the catalog. From
the point of view of our users, I'd hypothesize that they don't care
where we keep the stuff; they want to find it and get it. Studies report
that scholars often prefer more access to more stuff, and economical
ways to make more rare books discoverable is very desirable.

So one can imagine that economical numerical systems (such as that at
the British Library) allow intellectual access for users via the
catalog, and physical collection management for us by number order.

That said, as a librarian who browses closed stacks regularly and
prefers it (collecting materials for topics such as bindings, book arts,
Wilde, astronomy, etc. to present to classes and donors), I mourn the
change, yet enthusiastically support it.

One system would be better than many, but it seems to me that's more a
collection management issue than an access issue.

My two cents,

Jennifer

Jennifer Schaffner

Program Officer