[DCRM-L] Non-LC classification

Laurence Creider lcreider at lib.NMSU.Edu
Thu Jan 21 09:14:34 MST 2010

Sorry to be a spoil sport, but I think this is a very bad idea.  Having
worked in libraries with different classification/shelving systems, I have
found that the more systems you have, the easier it is for things to get
lost.  In addition, you have more things for student workers to keep track
of.  I find that even our limited number of shelving sequences pose
problems for some of our students.  The more shelfmarking systems, the
harder it is to get an overall sense of your collection and therefore the
harder it is to do collection development and the easier to end up with
duplicates.

The "pros" you and others have listed are "pros" for the librarians, not
for the users.  Users, including librarians, benefit from being able to do
call number browses. I am not sure that you would get faster cataloging
because you will need different numerical sequences (or prefixes with
resulting gaps in shelving sequences) for different sizes of books.  If
you have more than one cataloger, you need to come up with a fool-proof
way to make sure you are assigning the latest number in a sequence so that
you have a unique number.  There would be the problem of maintaining
whatever system you have if there is any subject order to it and the same
problems that LC has in dealing with materials that fit in more than one
area.

I do not see how another alphanumeric system would be more accurately
shelved and re-shelved than LC.  A strictly numeric system ends up with
long number sequences that are prone to misfiling and misremembering (one
reason why DDC is problematic; the more accurate the call number, the
harder it is to remember and shelve accurately). Besides, most rare book
classification is not difficult for an experienced cataloger, unless they
are dealing with dissertations or journal offprints which frequently are
more specific than the schedules.

Larry

Laurence S. Creider
Special Collections Librarian