[DCRM-L] Non-LC classification

Gillis, Jane jane.gillis at yale.edu
Thu Jan 21 11:52:12 MST 2010

David and all who have written,

As Stephen Young has pointed out, and you know from working there, Beinecke Library does not use LC classification, except for the reference collections.  Before 1970, almost everything at Yale was classed in the "old Yale" classification scheme, created before the LC classification scheme.  There are millions of books throughout Yale libraries (including Beinecke) using this old classification.  When the other Yale libraries started using LC, Beinecke decided to  go with our year/number scheme for the general collection and for folios (e.g., 2010 1, 2010 2; 2010 S1 for serials; there are also quarto, folio and broadside schemes).  Beinecke also uses "Name Collections" call numbers (e.g., Shirley 1, etc.; Eisenman 1, etc.; with "S" numbers for serials).  We also still use the "Z" part of the old Yale classification (e.g., Za for Yale Collection of American Literature; Zc for Western Americana), but, much, much easier to apply than LC.

Pros  for not classing in LC:
--Saves a lot of time in cataloging-if you don't have a backlog, this would not apply, but if you do and don't have unlimited  funds, think "The perfect is the enemy of the good."  Is it better to catalog 15-20% more of the backlog with no LC classification?
--Saves space.  For monographs, you don't have to leave any space on the shelf; for serials, a little space is left for additions
--An LC class number would sometimes be misleading-we have items because of provenance or because of 1 article.  I just had 3 issues of a newsletter from a Toronto committee on liberty and justice.  It was part of our Western Americana collection because the issues dealt with the Mackenzie Valley Pipeline.  Would you have to come up with 2 LC call numbers?  For us, the pipeline is the important part, not because it is gas or energy but because it is in  western Canada.  We get to this with extra subject headings.-I think this sort of thing happens much more frequently in special collections than in general stacks

Cons for not classing in LC:
--Can't  do a search using LC classification

We keep track of our call numbers with suppressed Voyager records.

Jane

Jane Gillis
Rare Book Cataloger
Yale University Library