[DCRM-L] Help with a Sabin entry.

Eric Holzenberg ejh at grolierclub.org
Fri Jun 18 08:37:10 MDT 2010

Will,

Images of various de Bry plates retrived by Google - though not plate VIII
of the edition you cite, unfortunately - show lengthy captions beginning
with a large "drop caps," or inset initial letters, whose indents affect
multiple lines of text: 4, 5, 6 lines or more.  So I would interpret the
Sabin entry to mean that in the first edition of the Brevis narratio the
"drop cap" initial A on plate VIII extends to five lines, and in later
reprints only four lines.

Hope this helps,

Eric Holzenberg

Director