[DCRM-L] Signature question

John Lancaster jjlancaster at me.com
Sat May 1 11:59:15 MDT 2010

This may be a case of printing on half-sheets (i.e. cut before printing) with quarto imposition.  That would account for both the signing and the watermark evidence.  Perhaps Richard can shed more light on this possibility.

I suppose it’s possible that this is a long 12mo (cf. Gaskell’s figure 54, with cutting rather than folding, and paging adjusted correspondingly), but the watermark evidence suggests otherwise, though without knowing more about the position of the watermarks and their relationship from leaf to leaf, it’s hard to be sure.

In any case, though, as Richard has said, it’s a gathering of 12 leaves; whatever designation you decide to use (I’d be inclined toward [A]), the work would be described as [A]^12, with [A]3 and [A]5 signed ‘B’ and ‘C’, respectively.

John Lancaster