[DCRM-L] Stub in a signature

Nickeson, Walter wnickeson at library.rochester.edu
Thu May 27 14:19:02 MDT 2010

I have a 1734 edition of Tacitus's works (Amstelaedami : Apud
Janssonio-Waesbergios, MDCCXXXIV [1734]). The first leaf is the title,
blank on the verso. Its conjugate leaf has been cut down to a stub on to
which has been pasted an engraved t.p. The next leaves are signed A3,
A4, A5, and then there are three unsigned leaves to make eight in all
before gathering B (also in 8) starts. Does this first gathering require
special description or explanation? My ancient notes from my Rare Books
cataloging class show an example of an engraved t.p. inserted into a
gathering: A^6(A1+engr. t.p.). Perhaps by analogy I should give:
A^8(-A2+engr. t.p.)?

  Walter F. Nickeson, Catalog &
    Metadata Management Librarian
  Rush Rhees Library