[DCRM-L] Cataloging bound-withs

Daryl Green dtg4 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Fri Nov 12 02:15:07 MST 2010

Yes, we have a similar practice in using the 246 18 for spine title
followed by |5 for copy specific identification.

As for the OPAC, I think it is really reliant on what cataloguing
software you are using. We use Millennium here, and I am currently
working with the head of Bib. Services to try and work out a way that a
user could click on the hyperlinked classmark and it would take them to
a list of all bibliographic items found under that classmark. I am also
just starting to pursue working out a way to implement a hyperlink into
the 501 field, either in the display constant or in our phrasing: (e.g.
St Andrews copy at _TypBL.C25AD_ bound with: &c. -- &c.) so that a list
would be doubly accessible through the OPAC and more fully display the
nature of the volume. So far we are hitting brick walls most places we
turn, but there must be a way. Currently, all we can do on the OPAC side
of things is include an extensive 501 note, listing all items in the
bound-with (if under ten items) or listing how many, what number the
bibliographic item is, and the subject and date range (St. Andrews copy
at TypBL.C25AD: fourteenth item in a volume of 28 pamphlets on tithes
dated 1625-1722.|5StSaUL).

That is about as far as I have been able to stretch Millennium at the
moment. I've only had 3 months to tests its limits so far, so with a bit
more time and persistence, we might be able to work something out. Hope
this helps!

Daryl Green
Rare Books Cataloguer
Department of Special Collections