[DCRM-L] Cataloging bound-withs

Fri Nov 12 09:23:24 MST 2010

We don't have that problem in Voyager. All titles in the call number
index display, properly ordered.

What remains a huge mess is what prompted Jennifer's query in the first
place: the relationship between bibliographic records, holdings records,
and item records in sammelbands, especially when they contain both
monographs and serials. We treat our rare materials differently than our
modern materials. Modern bound-withs have a single holdings/item record
linked to multiple bibliographic records. This of course permits all
titles in the volume to display as "charged."

For our rare materials, we have not yet implemented automated
circulation and are still using call slips. In Voyager, each title has
its own holdings and item record(s). This makes it possible to make and
display copy-specific notes relating to individual items within the
sammelband. I've no idea what will happen when we eventually move (as I
hope we do) to automated circulation. We've had a demo of Atlas Systems'
Aeon, which looks really good but I'm not sure how it handles this
problem. I'm copying Christian Dupont on this, in case he can enlighten
us.

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.

RBMS past chair 2010-2011 | Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare
Library

201 East Capitol St., S.E., Washington, D.C. 20003 | 202.675-0369
(phone)  202.675-0328 (fax) | djleslie at folger.edu  | www.folger.edu