[DCRM-L] RDA Follow-up to "Cataloging Defensively" Webinar re edition statements

John Attig jxa16 at psu.edu
Mon Nov 15 10:21:50 MST 2010

We have not investigated this with MARBI, and I learned long ago not to
attempt to predict their reaction to anything, but . . .

I think that a distinctive MARC field for supplied edition statements
might be a solution to this problem, but I'm not sure of the scope of
the problem.

First, RDA to the contrary, is there a general consensus (i.e., beyond
the DCRM community) that supplied edition statements in the "official"
Edition Statement element (field 250) are a bad idea?  My sense is that
rare materials catalogers (at least in the DCRM context) are reluctant
to supply data not present on the item.  However, it is not clear to me
that general catalogers have the same reluctance.  So is this simply a
rare materials fix?

Second, is there any reason to restrict this to Edition Statements?  I
could see the same argument being made for any transcribed data element,
and therefore the potential for a number of other fields for supplied
statements.

I think that MARBI might be open to adding one or more new fields; it
seems an obvious extension of the "take what you see" principle that
supplied data in a transcribed element be distinctly tagged.  However,
several points need to be clarified before they will see this as a
problem that needs to be solved.

         John