[DCRM-L] RDA Follow-up to "Cataloging Defensively" Webinar re edition statements

Wed Nov 17 17:01:46 MST 2010

Actually, this is the second reason I'm so opposed to supplying edition statements, which is only slightly less distressing than stretching the 250's purpose. I don't think we *can* come up with consistent phraseology; aside from my suggestion for English books using the STC, Wing, or ESTC number, it will have to be language taken either from the item itself (unlikely) or a note (e.g., [Large paper issue]), and strictly case-by-case.

-----Original Message-----
From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Laurence Creider
Sent: Wednesday, 17 November, 2010 17:44
To: Lenore Rouse
Cc: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] RDA Follow-up to "Cataloging Defensively" Webinar re edition statements

Lenore raises some good points.  I've also got a concern with supplying
edition statements that does not seem to have bothered anyone else, but
FWIW ....

The lack of controlled vocabulary for supplied edition statements, not
just in terms of source and language of the supplied statement, but more
crucially in the choice of terms to identify the concealed edition seems
to lay the way open for the creation of multiple bibliographic "ghosts" as
well as duplicate records in OCLC.

What we are talking about is making a major rule change or even a MARC
format change to accommodate the limitations of a system, admittedly a
huge system.  I don't think that is ever a good idea because the system
will eventually change or be replaced.  A more justifiable solution is the
use of a note in the bibliographic description, even though that poses
problems for those of us (including my library) that do not have
institutional records and will not.

If the DCRM community does decide to go with the supplied edition
statement, I think we need to spend time trying to come up with consistent
phraseology that both librarians and patrons will understand and apply as
consistently as possible.

Larry

Laurence S. Creider
Special Collections Librarian