[DCRM-L] RDA Follow-up to "Cataloging Defensively" Webinar re edition statements

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Wed Nov 17 18:43:37 MST 2010

The problem isn't consistent language, but language which can be
unambiguously associated with a specific data tag. This is virtually
impossible in a wide-open free-text field. There may be lots of retrieval,
but very little precision. Once again, I see this as a technical problem
given precedence over a substantive one: tail wags dog. The rules are the
tail; the book, whatever it is, as far as I *can tell* people, is the dog.
Why make the rules self-defeating??

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-3384 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU