[DCRM-L] Publication date question

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Mon Nov 22 20:55:05 MST 2010

People enjoyed (one might almost say "got off on") playing with the rules
for constructing roman numerals in just this way. This is a culture that
revelled in chronograms, after all. MDCCIIX is also (right) marginally
prettier than MDCCVIII, which does trail off without the satisfying closure
of X.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-3384 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU