[DCRM-L] DPC: Discussing proposed changes to DCRM text on DCRM-L

Erin Blake EBlake at FOLGER.edu
Wed Nov 24 18:50:22 MST 2010

With apologies for the delay: at Annual, it came to the attention of the
Bib Standards Committee that there should be a way for DCRM editors to
propose a wording change to DCRM-L, have it discussed by list members,
then have the change voted on by BSC members.

I was tasked with coming up with a mechanism, proposing it to the BSC
chair for his approval, then trying it out. I came up with an idea,
Stephen Skuce approved.... and months later, I realized I haven't
followed through.

Here's the mechanism: subject lines for discussion of proposed changes
to DCRM wording will be prefaced by "DPC" meaning "Discussion of
Proposed Change," similar to the "CFP" for announcing "Calls for Papers"
and "TOC" for announcing journal tables of contents used in H-Net
discussion lists. "DPC" was chosen because it's short (the default
[DCRM-L] preface already takes up valuable character spaces) and easily
searched-for and sorted-on (or filtered out, for people who aren't
interested in DCRM revision).

There will be one week for discussion, after which time BSC members will
vote. As decided at the BSC meeting, the vote will be an ALA Connect
poll of the BSC committee members (it seems cumbersome, but  it does
save DCRM-L from being cluttered by up to fourteen messages saying only
"yes" or "no". More importantly, it will save time in committee meetings
for things that need fuller discussion by providing an official forum to
log votes). The DCRM editor posing the question will be responsible for
sending a reminder the day before the vote that discussion is about to
end.

The DCRM editor posing the question will also be responsible for
documenting the outcome in the appropriate section of
http://wikis.ala.org/acrl/index.php/DCRM_Editorial_Guidelines

Note: minor changes, such as corrections to typos and formatting errors,
need not be discussed. DCRM editors can add them directly to
http://wikis.ala.org/acrl/index.php/DCRM_Editorial_Guidelines (and other
keepers-of-the-text will find out about them because we're all presumed
to be getting e-mail alerts when that page changes).

Coming up next... a Discussion of Proposed Change (one I think will be
straightforward and non-controversial, for an easy test-drive).

Thanks,

  EB.

Erin C. Blake, Ph.D.  |  Curator of Art & Special Collections  |  Folger
Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE  | Washington, DC
20003-1004  |  office tel. (202) 675-0323  |  fax:  (202) 675-0328  |
eblake at folger.edu  |  www.folger.edu