[DCRM-L] DPC: Discussing proposed changes to DCRM text on DCRM-L

Stephen A Skuce skuce at MIT.EDU
Mon Nov 29 08:49:21 MST 2010

Regarding the 7-day time period for DPC discussion on DCRM-L, I'm sure we can remain flexible. If constructive discussion continues into day 7, I hope we'd all consider letting it continue for a while until all opinions seem to have been expressed. And we definitely should extend the deadline when holidays of any relevance occur during a given discussion.

If a discussion is particularly heated, certainly we'll want to extend the period as well. But seriously contentious issues probably will need to be moved to the Bib Standards meeting at ALA. The DPC mechanism is specifically intended, in large part, to take care of simple or at least relatively uncontroversial changes, thereby saving precious face-to-face meeting time for those issues that warrant it.

I do want to second Manon's suggestion that we limit the number of concurrent discussions. I'd prefer limiting the number to one, myself.

With thanks to the mindbogglingly productive Erin Blake,

Stephen

-----Original Message-----
From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Manon Theroux
Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2010 9:18 PM
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] DPC: Discussing proposed changes to DCRM text on DCRM-L

I'd suggest black-out periods for other major civil and religious
holidays as well.

Any particularly thorny issues might need more than a week of discussion.

I'd suggest limiting the number of concurrent discussions.

Manon

--
Manon Theroux
Head of Technical Services

Stephen Skuce
Program Manager for Rare Books
Institute Archives and Special Collections

MIT Room 14N-118
77 Mass. Ave.
Cambridge MA 02139-4307
617.253.0654