[DCRM-L] Going from Core-Level to BIBCOStandard Record inDCRM(G)

Fletcher, Jain jfletchr at library.ucla.edu
Tue Nov 30 14:51:53 MST 2010

Hi, everyone,
   I am not sure (and I admit to perking up on this topic somewhat late; sorry--it's just been frenetic here!), but it seems as if people might be under the impression that the "core" standard (with Encoding Level 4) is still valid. However, even though we've been assured by OCLC (via Glenn Patton) that "4" is not going away, the core record is. It is no longer valid to be creating core records. In looking back through the announcements about this, I see the way they've worded it in implementation announcement below (2nd bullet), but it might not have been stated strongly enough. However, if you go to the link provided by its top paragraph, you'll see it stated more baldly (esp. if Jain highlights it  ;-)              --

"The initial BIBCO Standard Record project was carried out to develop a 'model' for bibliographic records using a single encoding level to replace the previous BIBCO full and core levels."

   So, based on that, I read (or, reinterpreted) Aislinn's message as really meaning that UCSD is adopting the BSR as their "floor" record, not their "core" record...

   My sincerest apologies if I've misunderstood the tenor of this discussion that I've been skimming...                                         --Jain

===================================================================================================================================================================================================
September 1, 2010 Set as Implementation Date for New BSRs

The PCC Policy Committee (PoCo) has approved the final reports submitted by Standing Committee on Standards Task Groups for BIBCO Standard Records for a variety of materials.  These reports appear on the PCC BIBCO homepage:  http://www.loc.gov/catdir/pcc/bibco/bibco.html

The PCC Steering Committee has set September 1, 2010 as the implementation date for the BIBCO Standard Record (BSR) guidelines for the following materials:
*         Textual Monographs (revised, originally titled BSR for Printed Books)
*         Rare Books
*         Electronic Resources
*         Cartographic Materials
*         Sound Recordings
*         Graphic Materials
*         Projected Visual Materials

By mid-August, the LC Cooperative Programs Section will post a more streamlined set of BSR implementation documents, retaining the Metadata Application Profiles (MAPs), but reducing elements of the Final Reports not needed in working guidelines.  As we move into the new BSR implementation phase:

 *   Records created according to the BSR models for all formats will carry the encoding level "blank."
 *   Encoding level "4" will remain as a valid encoding level in OCLC for earlier BIBCO core records.  It is understood that batch loading processes by libraries that catalog in local systems may result in some BIBCO core level records entering OCLC even after September 1, 2010.
 *   The Standing Committee on Standards is developing BSR guidelines for a few remaining items (collections, including manuscript collections, electronic resources in certain formats), in consultation with appropriate stakeholders.
 *   In the late summer, the Standing Committee on Training will be reviewing newly-developed BIBCO Training materials aimed primarily at libraries joining the BIBCO program.  The projected release date for these materials is October 1, 2010.  Training will be designed as an online experience about 1 day in length, with the option of an onsite instructor.

PoCo extends its thanks to the Standing Committee on Standards and all Task Group chairs, members, and liaisons, whose names appear in the final reports.

Magda El-Sherbini, PCC Chair
Associate Professor
Head, Cataloging Department
The Ohio State University Libraries
el-sherbini.1 at osu.edu<mailto:el-sherbini.1 at osu.edu>

Jain Fletcher
Principal Cataloger & Head, Technical Services Division
Department of Special Collections
Young Research Library - UCLA Box 951575
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575
v: (310) 794-4096
f: (310) 206-1864
e: jfletchr at library.ucla.edu<mailto:jfletchr at library.ucla.edu>

UNTIL YOU DIG A HOLE, YOU PLANT A TREE, YOU WATER IT AND MAKE IT SURVIVE,
YOU HAVEN'T DONE A THING.
YOU ARE JUST TALKING.
Wangari Muta Maathai, activist and Nobel laureate (b. 1940)