[DCRM-L] Frontispiece conjugate with t.p.

Thu Sep 9 12:03:04 MDT 2010

Randy,

I would stay away from your first example; there is no need to separate
'A' out of the sequence, since the parenthetical doesn't affect the
number of leaves, but only gives more information about the content. One
way is to put this kind of information after a semi-colon at the end of
the signature statement. I.e., Signatures: A-Z[superscript8]; A8 is the
frontispiece.

I like the wording of your note, though, which could be used along with
or instead of the information as part of the signature statement.
Perhaps a slight tweaking, something like: Leaf A8 is back-folded to
form the frontispiece.

-----Original Message-----
From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On
Behalf Of Randal Brandt
Sent: Thursday, 09 September, 2010 13:48
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: [DCRM-L] Frontispiece conjugate with t.p.

  I'm trying to come up with a clear (and elegant) way to describe a
frontispiece that integral to the first gathering and is conjugate with
the title page. I have seen several examples of this situation, and a
couple of different ways to express it, and would appreciate it if
anyone on this list has something better to offer.

Here's the deal: In, for example, an octavo, the frontispiece
illustration is printed on the verso of the last leaf (A8) of the first
gathering. The sheet is folded and opened (at least partially) before
binding, A8 is then folded around so that it precedes A1, thus forming a

frontispiece that is conjugate to the t.p. (A1). Assuming the page
numbering starts with A1, the page number of B1 is then 15, and so on.

Here are some ways of expressing this in the catalog record:

Example 1:
Signatures: A[superscript 8] (A8=frontispiece) B-Z[superscript8]
Note: Frontispiece is conjugate with title page

Example 2:
Signatures: A-Z[superscript8]
Note: Leaves A1.8 folded to form frontispiece (leaf A8) and title page
(leaf A1)

Any preferences for either of the above examples? Any other ideas? I've
looked through Bowers and Gaskell and cannot find anything like this.
(Most of the examples like this I have seen have been in German
imprints.)

Thanks!
Randy

--
Randal Brandt
rbrandt at library.berkeley.edu
http://bancroft.berkeley.edu
"It's hard enough to remember my opinions without
remembering my reasons for them"--The Streets.