[DCRM-L] Frontispiece conjugate with t.p.

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Thu Sep 9 12:41:12 MDT 2010

If you were in RBS Des Bib, I'd have the right to tell y'all that the right
way to describe this is pi^2 A^6 ... etc. The *printing *formula is A^8; but
in the *issue* formula for the correctly finished book you always describe
the structure in terms of the relationships of the bifolia (folds). To call
these eight leaves A^8 leaves you with a formula that is, quite simply,
incorrect: that superscript 8 has a very unambiguous meaning. (This is the
most basic of all rules for this species of notation.)

You may still--really should--explain how this bit of structure came about,
since you need to make it clear that the frontispiece leaf is not a plate.
Also, assuming that gathering A includes signatures, it may be that, say,
leaf A2 in the book as bound is signed A3--in which case it must be noted as
missigned. ("Missigned" doesn't necessarily mean that the printer made a
mistake; it simply means that the signature doesn't correspond to the
structure of the finished book.) If there are no signatures before B, the
right formula would be [A]^2 chi^6 ..., though there's (just) wiggle room
for debate about the designation of the second gathering.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-3384 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU