[DCRM-L] Frontispiece conjugate with t.p.

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Thu Sep 9 14:15:20 MDT 2010

The question is a bit of a sideshow here, but anyway--I read Bowers as
thinking that the English habit of starting the text with B was in order to
reserve A for the title gathering, which at least felt like a reason for
inferring the initial gathering as "[A]", instead of leaving the question
unsettled and having to think about it every time. I prefer chi for the next
gathering, only because in reference notation pi so clearly implies a
gathering or gatherings that "p[recede]" any other series; "[p]reliminary"
gets to be iffy, and once again you end up having to make judgments about a
really rather trivial matter, when what you want to do is just lay out the
structure and leaf relationships in a way that will support unambiguous
reference. So I guess I think of pi as representing "[p]rae".

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-3384 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU