[DCRM-L] Frontispiece conjugate with t.p.

John Lancaster jjlancaster at me.com
Thu Sep 9 14:48:46 MDT 2010

Yes, very much a sideshow (and possibly only theoretical) - I guess I prefer having to think about it - clearly A is being reserved for the first gathering - but in the printer's terms, that's all eight leaves, one sheet, even though he of course knows how the book is supposed to end up.  Since we can't use A for all the leaves, it feels awkward to me to use it for just one of the two resulting gatherings, even if one of them includes the title leaf.

I do agree that chi should come after [A], if it's inferred.  Bowers has an amusing sequence of possible examples for a slightly different situation: [A]^2 *^4 [B]^4 C-... ("somewhat irregular"); pi^2 *^4 2pi^4 C-... ("more conservative"); pi^2 *^4 [2*]^4 C-... ("clearer").

I'd still be interested in knowing what the signing and paging of the actual examples are, and further whether these 8 leaves are in fact preliminaries (textually speaking).

John Lancaster