[DCRM-L] Eliminating an RDA option in DCRM(G) draft: want to allow "i.e." and "[sic]"

Erin Blake EBlake at FOLGER.edu
Wed Aug 3 19:31:39 MDT 2011

As you may know, the DCRM(G) draft incorporates some boxed "RDA
alternatives" in cases where standard RDA convention differs from AACR2
(e.g. "RDA alternative: Use 'diameter' instead of the abbreviation
'diam.'") and there are no rare materials or graphic materials reasons
to differ (as suggested by Barbara Tillett and others, and approved in
principle by the RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee, in order for
DCRM(G) to be a transitional manual).

In the draft reviewed for the public hearing, we included the RDA
alternative "Do not follow inaccuracies with '[sic]' or 'i.e.' and the
correction in square brackets. Instead, make a note correcting the
inaccuracy (RDA 1.7.9)." HOWEVER, further work has convinced us we DO
need "[sic]" and "i.e." in transcriptions, for various reasons,
including:

a) "Precise representation" (DCRM III.2.2.) is key for sophisticated
special collections users  and "i.e." and "[sic]" provide
quality-assurance that the representation is precise

b) Unintentionally incorrect information is not infrequent in graphic
materials, which are not "self describing" the way books with title
pages are, and such inaccuracies need immediate correction in order to
make sense to users. For example, the image at
http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.19657 was wrongly titled "Royal
Palace, Warsaw" by the news agency that created it; it actually depicts
the Kremlin, so its title according to DCRM(G) should be "Royal Palace,
Warsaw [i.e. Kremlin Palace, Moscow]"

c) Title and imprint information commonly get pulled out for image
databases and picture captioning, so we need a complete package in those
areas; moving corrections to the notes splits information that needs to
stay assembled for user convenience

Thoughts? Comments?

Many thanks,

   Erin (Chair, DCRM(G) Editorial Team)

Erin C. Blake, Ph.D.  |  Curator of Art & Special Collections  |  Folger
Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE  |  Washington, DC
20003-1004  |  office tel. (202) 675-0323  |  fax:  (202) 675-0328  |
eblake at folger.edu  |  www.folger.edu