[DCRM-L] Eliminating an RDA option in DCRM(G) draft: want to allow "i.e." and "[sic]"

Will Evans evans at bostonathenaeum.org
Thu Aug 4 07:12:22 MDT 2011

Personally, I applaud the idea of retaining “i.e.” and “[sic]” for the
reasons you have outline and others, not the least of which is human error
in creating records (note to self). I find reassurance in seeing a [sic] in
a record, as it is an indicator that careful attention was paid in its
creation, and as is often the case, that the item I have in hand is indeed a
variant. Moreover, I’d like to add my support of maintaining brackets around
unnumbered pages/leaves in the physical description area. I would argue that
like graphic materials, books, especially those of a certain vintage, are
often not “self describing,” and that these indicators are vital tools for
identification.

Best,

Will