[DCRM-L] Eliminating an RDA option in DCRM(G) draft: want to allow "i.e." and "[sic]"

Erin Blake EBlake at FOLGER.edu
Thu Aug 4 07:12:11 MDT 2011

Thanks, Allison. At the moment, I'm only asking about this particular
exception because it affects the current draft of DCRM(G).

Issues such as pagination statements will be taken up by the group that
was constituted by the Bibliographic Standards Committee at Annual to
formulate recommendations regarding RDA's impact on DCRM, and I assume
they will be seeking input from the larger community.

   EB.

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On
Behalf Of Allison Rich
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2011 8:48 AM
To: dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] Eliminating an RDA option in DCRM(G) draft: want
to allow "i.e." and "[sic]"

Dear Erin:

I heartily approve of these exceptions to the rule but I would like an
exception with the pagination statements too.
I would like to retain the convention of bracketed paging to reflect
unnumbered pages.

[sic] and i.e. are vital for my cataloguing work here at the John Carter
Brown Library.
And I would hate to not be able to use them.

Will there be a forum to weigh on such matters as the implementation of
RDA gets closer?
Because we would also like to take part in this.

~Allison

As you may know, the DCRM(G) draft incorporates some boxed "RDA
alternatives" in cases where standard RDA convention differs from AACR2
(e.g. "RDA alternative: Use 'diameter' instead of the abbreviation
'diam.'") and there are no rare materials or graphic materials reasons
to differ (as suggested by Barbara Tillett and others, and approved in
principle by the RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee, in order for
DCRM(G) to be a transitional manual).

In the draft reviewed for the public hearing, we included the RDA
alternative "Do not follow inaccuracies with '[sic]' or 'i.e.' and the
correction in square brackets. Instead, make a note correcting the
inaccuracy (RDA 1.7.9)." HOWEVER, further work has convinced us we DO
need "[sic]" and "i.e." in transcriptions, for various reasons,
including:

a) "Precise representation" (DCRM III.2.2.) is key for sophisticated
special collections users  and "i.e." and "[sic]" provide
quality-assurance that the representation is precise

b) Unintentionally incorrect information is not infrequent in graphic
materials, which are not "self describing" the way books with title
pages are, and such inaccuracies need immediate correction in order to
make sense to users. For example, the image at
http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.19657 was wrongly titled "Royal
Palace, Warsaw" by the news agency that created it; it actually depicts
the Kremlin, so its title according to DCRM(G) should be "Royal Palace,
Warsaw [i.e. Kremlin Palace, Moscow]"

c) Title and imprint information commonly get pulled out for image
databases and picture captioning, so we need a complete package in those
areas; moving corrections to the notes splits information that needs to
stay assembled for user convenience

Thoughts? Comments?

Many thanks,

   Erin (Chair, DCRM(G) Editorial Team)

Erin C. Blake, Ph.D.  |  Curator of Art & Special Collections  |  Folger
Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE  |  Washington, DC
20003-1004  |  office tel. (202) 675-0323  |  fax:  (202) 675-0328  |
eblake at folger.edu  |  www.folger.edu

--

"Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best friend,

Allison Rich
Catalogue Librarian
John Carter Brown Library
Providence, Rhode Island