[DCRM-L] Eliminating an RDA option in DCRM(G) draft: want to allow "i.e." and "[sic]"

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Fri Aug 5 21:21:36 MDT 2011

Helena could well have italicized and bolded her apt reference to the
implications of cataloging rules for metadata in general (the whole point of
RDA, if I understand its defenders' arguments correctly). If catalogers are
to be conceived as front-line creators of metadata, then their work should
anticipate the conditions under which it will be used; e.g *many pictures
are harvested for use in specialized databases with just a few pieces of
metadata attached (not the full catalog record). Which is basically what I
meant in my own response regarding the areas and elements that are likely
and especially not likely to be harvested from MARC or MARC-like metadata
for such purposes. Without correction of some sort, a 245 may be nothing
better than uncritically transcribed garbage in that produces garbage out. *
*
*
I would further remark that this is not a format-specific condition.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-3384 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU