[DCRM-L] Question about tironian notes in DCRM(B)

Manon Theroux manon.theroux at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 17:43:52 MDT 2011

Hi, Jenny-

This page has links to the discussion papers from the DCRM Conference, held
10-13 March, 2003, at Yale University:
http://www.rbms.info/committees/bibliographic_standards/dcrm/dcrmtext.html

If you scroll down to the Conference section, look under Working Group 2,
and click to open "Transcription Issues 1" (a discussion paper written by
Deborah J. Leslie & Benjamin Griffin), you'll find the following on  p. 18:

===
4.1. Tironian sign. The Gothic font’s “tironian sign” should be transcribed
as an ampersand, since it is the black-letter analogue for what appears as
an ampersand in roman type. Both are derived from MS. contractions of Latin
“et”. (This was the decision arrived at by the Bibliographic Standards
Committee at the ALA annual meeting in 1999).
===

Unfortunately, I don't find anything about the Tironian sign in the BSC
minutes from 1999. The closest thing I could find there was: "Treat an
ampersand as an ampersand."

-Manon