[DCRM-L] Question about tironian notes in DCRM(B)

jnelson at law.berkeley.edu jnelson at law.berkeley.edu
Wed Aug 17 17:26:28 MDT 2011

Dear DCRM-Listers,
 I was asked the below question by someone from the
Latin for Catalogers workshop. Since it is a little out of my purview and
expertise, I thought I would put it to this group.
 Best regards,
 Jenny

Question:

 "...In DCRB, catalogers were instructed to transcribe the
Tironian sign for "et" as "[et]" if they were unable to reproduce it. DCRMB
0G8.2 says to transcribe a Tironian sign as an ampersand without brackets.
When DCRMB was published, I didn't understand the reason for this change,
and I still don't. To me it seems better to transcribe a Trionian sign as
'[et]' because it is from a special shorthand system and the ampersand was
created from the ligature of the word 'et' ... do you have any insight into
this rule change?"

--
Jennifer K. Nelson
Reference Librarian