[DCRM-L] Main Entry Question

Wed Aug 24 15:46:57 MDT 2011

I think you have a choice to catalog this as a printed item, in which case the U.S. is the main entry, or a manuscript, in which the CSA is. We would do the former, and add additional headings and title entries designated with ‡5DFo

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S. | Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library | 201 East Capitol St., S.E. | Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu <mailto:djleslie at folger.edu>  | 202.675-0369 | http://www.folger.edu <http://www.folger.edu/>

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Will Evans
Sent: Wednesday, 24 August, 2011 16:25
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: [DCRM-L] Main Entry Question

I’m sure there is a rule regarding this dilemma, but I’m hard-pressed to find it.

Item in hand is a quarterly account ledger form for the U.S. Post Office with the following 245:

Post Office at [blank] County of [blank] State of [blank] in account current with the United States for the service of the Post Office Department from [blank] to [blank] 186[blank].

On the item in hand, however, the following manuscript annotations have been made:

Post Office at [Sangerville] County of [Augusta] State of [Virginia] in account current with the United Confederate States of America for the service of the Post Office Department from [1st day of June 1861] to [30th day of June] 186[1].

(Text in bold are added ms. annotations made above the line of printed text)

Some Background information: We have a number of forms from the Confederacy that have been cataloged as published with extensive notes added about the manuscript additions. This is the first form we’ve encountered that has been so blatantly appropriated by a Confederate office. So, does one make the main entry the U.S. Post Office, with an added entry for the CSA Post Office? Or reverse the entries with CSA Post Office as the main entry and USPO as an added entry? Make USPO the main entry and leave it at that?

Thanks in advance.

Will

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Will Evans