[DCRM-L] Main Entry Question

Will Evans evans at bostonathenaeum.org
Wed Aug 24 14:25:06 MDT 2011

I’m sure there is a rule regarding this dilemma, but I’m hard-pressed to
find it.

Item in hand is a quarterly account ledger form for the U.S. Post Office
with the following 245:

Post Office at [blank] County of [blank] State of [blank] in account current
with the United States for the service of the Post Office Department from
[blank] to [blank] 186[blank].

On the item in hand, however, the following manuscript annotations have been
made:

Post Office at [Sangerville] County of [Augusta] State of [Virginia] in
account current with the United *Confederate* States *of America* for the
service of the Post Office Department from [1st day of June 1861] to [30th
day of June] 186[1].

(Text in bold are added ms. annotations made above the line of printed text)

Some Background information: We have a number of forms from the Confederacy
that have been cataloged as published with extensive notes added about the
manuscript additions. This is the first form we’ve encountered that has been
so blatantly appropriated by a Confederate office. So, does one make the
main entry the U.S. Post Office, with an added entry for the CSA Post
Office? Or reverse the entries with CSA Post Office as the main entry and
USPO as an added entry? Make USPO the main entry and leave it at that?

Thanks in advance.

Will

*WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW***

Will Evans