[DCRM-L] Main Entry Question

Laurence Creider lcreider at lib.nmsu.edu
Wed Aug 24 16:36:14 MDT 2011

I'm not a manuscripts person, but it seems to me that Randy's comment
makes sense.  IN any case, you have to make a decision as to whether you
are cataloging the form or the information in the form.  Is the user
likely to be interested in the form as an exemplar of US postal forms or
in terms of what has been added in ms by the CSA institution?  For me
there would also be the question of whether anything has been added to the
form beyond the information on the confederate library.  Is there ledger
information?  If so, then the ledger is clearly the product of that post
office as reflecting the internal activities of the corporate bodies.

If there is information that the ledger was used after 1865, then other
rules would be involved.

An added entry allows you to cover all bases and hedge your bets.  While
not called for by the rules or even justified by them (you can go back and
forth, I think), an added entry might help a user who does not understand
the resource in the same way you do.

--
Laurence S. Creider
Interim Head,