[DCRM-L] Automated authority control

John Attig jxa16 at psu.edu
Thu Feb 3 15:16:41 MST 2011

We also use Backstage, so I am familiar with these reports.  Most of our
cataloging does not involve special collections, but I think I can make
a few general comments.

First, I think you have two choices:

1. Which reports are you going to attempt to deal with every month?

2. Of the remaining reports, which are you simply going to ignore -- or
at least postpone indefinitely?

We regularly process (a) deleted headings -- we choice to handle these
automatically; (b) unmatched headings; (c) filing indicators, (d)
tagging errors.  We have never attempted to deal with partial heading
matches.  Our ILS handles updated headings, so we ignore that one.

In general, we try to give priority to those reports that have an impact
on indexing and display, and ignore those that do not have such an impact.

         John Attig
         Authority Control Librarian
         Penn State University
         jxa16 at psu.edu