[DCRM-L] Automated authority control

Thu Feb 3 15:00:49 MST 2011

The Folger has just recently reinstated automated authority control
after about 10 years of being without, and are now faced with daunting
reports by Backstage Library Works, our vendor. We are wondering how
other institutions with sizeable rare materials collections prioritize
clean-up work resulting from automated authority control.

The biggest reports are for partial heading matches, unmatched headings,
updated headings, and minor heading changes. There are smaller reports,
too, such as for unauthorized heading use or suspicious filing
indicators.

What do (would) you consider most important and/or attack first?

Thanks,

Deborah

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
RBMS past chair 2010-2011 | Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare
Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E. | Washington, D.C. 20003 | 202.675-0369
djleslie at folger.edu | http://www.folger.edu <http://www.folger.edu/>