[DCRM-L] Serial or monograph?

Gillis, Jane jane.gillis at yale.edu
Mon Feb 7 14:05:36 MST 2011

Larry,

These should both be cataloged as serials.  I don't think "complete text" was ever meant to include advertisements. "Text" would be the actual text of the serial.  The numbering could be changed (e.g., "Volume I" to "vol. 1") or numbering added (e.g., 271 numbers with no volume numbering is reprinted in 4 volumes that are called "Vol. I", etc.)   Perhaps we should have made that point clearer.  What we were trying to get across is that "once a serial, always a serial" is the default, except in rare cases: a reprint of one issue (usually the first issue of a serial in celebration of an event) or a very limited number of issues of a serial or the reissue in a single volume of more than 1 serial title.  Other than these cases, catalog the reprint as a serial.

If you are still unsure about this, I can try to make it clearer.  This is definitely something we will have to address in our Manual to accompany DCRM(S).

Jane

Jane Gillis
Rare Book Cataloger
Yale University Library