[DCRM-L] Lemniscate

Cordes, Ellen ellen.cordes at yale.edu
Mon Feb 7 18:36:32 MST 2011

DCRM(B-S) editors and others,

I ran across a couple of prints published in Rome in the 16th century that used the lemniscate in place of the M to represent 1000 in the date.   [Printers who used this convention used the number 8 sideways, apparently, though I have never actually seen it.]   It seems like something that (B) or (S) would have included in the chart in G2, but did not.  The question came up in the context of reviewing the chart in G2 for DCRM(G).

There's an interesting brief description of the use of lemniscates at http://www2.inetdirect.net/~charta/Roman_numerals.html

Was this too obscure to include in G2 in the (B) and (S) modules?

Ellen R. Cordes
Head of Technical Services
The Lewis Walpole Library
Yale University