[DCRM-L] RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee proposal

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Tue Feb 8 11:05:59 MST 2011

This is good, absolutely, whatever the problem might have been. Still, I do
feel that the dcrm(b) proscription of supplied edition statements needs to
be revisited, however difficult it may be to prescribe a set of uniform
conventions for them. That rule is the problem that is addressed by this
request. When a rule is the problem--that is, when a rule frustrates some
important purpose of the rules--then the solution really lies with those who
make the rules, and with those who, for the time being, can only sympathize
with them, given the complexity of the business.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-3384 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU