[DCRM-L] DPC: First and last sentences under "Optional local note" in VIII.2 [etc.]

Stephen A Skuce skuce at MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 9 07:16:55 MST 2011

Hello,

The Bibliographic Standards Committee voted unanimously to change the wording of VIII.2, as proposed by Erin Blake. (See: http://connect.ala.org/node/129533 )

But as the vote was underway, a discrepancy was discovered.

The bullet for "Note" contains this phrasing:

" ... is required if applicable to the situation."

The bullet for "Local note" contains this phrasing:

" ... is required if applicable."

BSC members would like to employ parallel language in these bullets, and we feel that the words "to the situation" are redundant. If something is "applicable," it must be applicable "to the situation" at hand.

So we'd like to remove the words "to the situation" from the bullet for "Note" in VIII.2 in the Introduction.

The point is minor, and has no bearing on the subject of the vote itself. We'd rather not belabor it with yet another proposal and vote.

Unless a compelling argument for retaining the phrase "to the situation" is presented on this list before midnight EDT on February 16, we will consider this a minor change, and the sole remaining instance of the phrase will be deleted from VIII.2.

Thanks,
Stephen

Stephen Skuce
Program Manager for Rare Books
Institute Archives and Special Collections

MIT Room 14N-118
77 Mass. Ave.
Cambridge MA 02139-4307
617.253.0654