[DCRM-L] Karen Coyle article on the future of MARC

dooleyj dooleyj at oclc.org
Tue Jul 26 05:21:01 MDT 2011

Greetings--

The latest issue (no. 14) of code{4}lib Journal includes the following
article of potential interest:

MARC21 as Data: A Start
Karen Coyle
The forty-five-year-old MARC format, currently at version MARC21, is an
obvious barrier to the provision of library services in a web-based
environment. There is a growing consensus that the time has come for
libraries to move to a new format. We cannot, however, decide on a new data
format until we at least have an inventory of the data elements that are
carried in our current one. Listing those data elements is not simple: over
the years this record format has undergone constant change that has pushed
the limits of the record structure and introduced inconsistencies in the way
that data is coded. This article describes one person¹s attempt to decode
the content of MARC21.

http://journal.code4lib.org/issues/issue14

--
Jackie Dooley
Program Officer

dooleyj at oclc.org
949.492.5060 (work/home) -- Pacific Time
949.295.1529 (mobile)