[DCRM-L] FW: [EXLIBRIS-L] Seeking leather bookbindingID references

Thu Jul 28 10:11:23 MDT 2011

The problem is not only the hairsheep, it's that heavy processing of
some leathers has left it impossible to tell, even for experts. The box
of leather binding boards at Rare Book School is instructive. On the
back of the boards someone has gone through and identified the leather.
I have been told that Nicholas Pickwoad also reviewed the
identifications and made corrections. Some of the boards have things
like "Goat" crossed out and replaced with "Sheep". Still others say
"Goat? Sheep?"

I tell my students not to go beyond what they know. If they're confident
that it's goat or sheep, they should use those terms. If not, use
"leather," and qualify it as desired. "In old leather (sheep?) binding."

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S. | Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare
Library | 201 East Capitol St., S.E. | Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu <mailto:djleslie at folger.edu>  | 202.675-0369 |
http://www.folger.edu <http://www.folger.edu/>