[DCRM-L] Foreign Language Cataloging

Kate McMillan Kate.McMillan at indstate.edu
Tue Jun 7 12:02:49 MDT 2011

Hello All,
I am putting a grant together and one of the components of it is to get a cataloger (or two) in to catalog the uncataloged portion of foreign language titles in a collection of dictionaries.
I am new to special collections cataloging and do not have the language background to catalog these materials. In putting together this grant, I am trying to learn more about the foreign language cataloging process while keeping the grants deadline in mind.
The majority of what needs to be cataloged is in French, Latin, German, Greek, Spanish, and Italian.
So, my question to you all is, assuming there is a decent OCLC record for an item and the cataloger has the requisite language ability, how long will it take them to copy catalog each item? (a rough estimate will work). I know many libraries add their own local notes, us as well, so that can be factored into to your estimate too if you'd like.
Also, about how long to originally catalog a foreign language material?

I know these estimates depend on a lot of factors, I'm just trying to get other's expertise so that I may put together a grant that is realistic.
Thank you and have a nice afternoon,
Kate E. McMillan