[DCRM-L] OCLC Form/Genre Revisions and Pending RBMS Thesaurus Work?

Jeff Barton jpbarton at princeton.edu
Fri May 20 10:38:02 MDT 2011

OCLC is planning what looks like major revisions of Form/Genre headings,
based on a webinar I sat in on recently (link to slides below).

http://www5.oclc.org/downloads/webinars/GenreHeadings.pdf

I'm wondering how will this mesh with the work now being done by RBMS on our
own Form/Genre thesaurus?

And based on their pending upload of reworked authority files (see slide
#18), I think there will be a disparity between these records and the 655
coding in our existing MARC records.  I'm also wondering how other libraries
are planning to deal with this?

Jeff Barton
Cotsen Children's Library Cataloger
Rare Books & Special Collections Department
Princeton University Library
One Washington Rd.
Princeton, NJ 08544
jpbarton at princeton.edu