[DCRM-L] capitalization of religious titles

Tue Oct 11 13:22:58 MDT 2011

Correction! I looked it up in an old (orange) edition of AACR2, and the Appendix reads the same; "the Pastor" was correct then, too. I wonder if catalogers unconsciously follow the spirit of A13.E3, for civil and military titles, without realizing that religious titles have their own rules.

"the Reverend Michael O’Sullivan, Pastor of Saint Peter’s Church; the Pastor"

"Jimmy Carter, president of the United States; the president of the United States; the president"

-----Original Message-----
From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Deborah J. Leslie
Sent: Tuesday, 11 October 2011 15:05
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] capitalization of religious titles

We follow Appendix A without question. I have a vague-ish memory that certain words that used to be designated as lowercase are now uppercase, things like "Minister" among them, which would account for the variation in practice.

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S. | Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library | 201 East Capitol St., S.E. | Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu | 202.675-0369 | http://www.folger.edu