[DCRM-L] Fwd: DPC: Clarify and simplify wording in 4C10

Manon Theroux manon.theroux at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 15:03:05 MDT 2011

Apologies, Deborah, but I don't remember discussing this particular
proposed change. I only remember a discussion about the meaning of the
word "statement". I don't think the proposed wording is an
improvement, personally, and I think it changes the meaning of the
instruction.

The word "information" seems too general. It is only the name of the
publisher, etc., that we are supposed to supply. The proposed text
makes it sound like any publisher info transcribed as part of another
area can be supplied in the 260 - e.g. an address, etc.

What we maybe should have discussed is how the rule changed from
DCRM(B) to DCRM(S), which is why the revised text is listed in the
Editorial Guidelines to begin with. In B, the rule only applied if
there was no separable publisher statement to transcribe in the 260.
In S, it seems to only apply when there is a separable statement to
transcribe but that statement doesn't include the name of the
publisher.

Do we need a revision that incorporates both situations? Although one
could argue that 4C8 allows you to supply a name when there is no
statement, it also requires you to make a note justifying the supplied
name. In 4C10, if we don't have a separable statement to transcribe,
we will want to supply the name in the 260, but a note won't be needed
because the rest of the description makes it obvious where the name
came from.

Manon