[DCRM-L] DPC: Clarify and simplify wording in 4C10

Sun Oct 16 14:05:26 MDT 2011

Thanks for your reply, John. “Another area” is quite deliberate, because grammatically inseparable text between elements within Area 4 would be transcribed in this element. That is, ‡b always trumps ‡a and ‡c.

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of John Attig
Sent: Sunday, 16 October, 2011 16:00
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] DPC: Clarify and simplify wording in 4C10

On 10/16/2011 3:39 PM, Deborah J. Leslie wrote:

DCRM(B) 2nd printing has this version:

4C10. Publisher, distributor, etc., transcribed as part of another area

If no publisher, distributor, etc., statement appears in the publication, but the name of the publisher, distributor, etc., has already been transcribed as part of another area, supply it in a short identifiable form within square brackets.

Replacement text per the DCRM Editorial Guidelines:

“If the name of the publisher, distributor, etc., does not appear in the publisher, distributor, etc., statement, but has already been transcribed ..."

While Erin, Manon and I were discussing this rule because of continued confusion in the wording, we came up with what we thought was much clearer and better language, and eliminated any confusion. We propose 4C10 1st paragraph to read thus:

4C10. Publisher, distributor, etc., transcribed as part of another area

If publisher, distributor, etc., information has been transcribed as part of another area, supply it in a short identifiable form within square brackets.

As a proposed change to standard DCRM text, this requires BSC vote.

Because the caption here refers to "another area" I think it would be a good idea to make it clear that we are talking about what to record in the Publisher, distributor, etc. element:

"If publisher, distributor, etc., information has been transcribed as part of another area, supply a short identifiable form within square brackets in the publisher, distributor, etc., element."

Also, "another area" does not include other elements in the Publication, Distribution, etc., Area -- e.g., Place of Publication, Distribution, etc.  Does that ever happen? If so, I would change "another area" to "another element" in caption and rule.

        John Attig