[DCRM-L] (B3) 1D5: Latin alternative title? (Lenore Rouse)

Hal Cain hegcain at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 10:40:12 MDT 2011

> Lenore Rouse <rouse at cua.edu> wrote:
>
>  OK I take back my earlier view on this. I think John is right, but 9
> times out of 10 "seu" does introduce an alternative title. Not sure what
> this example was meant to illustrate but another example might be more
> helpful.
>
> --
> On 10/16/2011 4:03 PM, John Attig wrote:
> > I wouldn't rely on my Latin expertise, but it seems to me that this is
> > a case of two adjectives connected "seu" rather than two titles -- and
> > thus is not an alternative title.
>
> >> Constitutiones legitime seu legatine regionis Anglicane : cu[m]
> >> subtilissima interpretatione d[omi]ni Johannis de Athon

Most definitely not an alternative title!  The two adjectives "legitime" and
"legatine" which are joined by "seu" both qualify the noun "Constitutiones";
the sense of seu here is something like "or, if you like".

Without any hard evidence, I would guess that "seu" appears more often in
medieval Latin than in classical or Renaissance (classical-modelled) usage.

In a true alternative title, the sense of both halves should be essentially
parallel; either half should be able to stand by itself as a citeable title.

Hal Cain
Melbourne, Australia
hegcain at gmail.com