[DCRM-L] B3: query for those experienced with books signed with Greek characters

Mon Oct 17 11:52:45 MDT 2011

Let us also keep in mind that the primary purpose of the chart is not for romanization, but to state the conventional signing pattern as the basis for condensed signature statements. Having roman equivalents is icing on the cake.

Providing another chart, or adding Greek caps to existing chart, would create logistical problems. If signing in Greek caps is unusual, then the cataloger can consult the romanization table. More cumbersome, I know. Now I'm asking if the current chart can hold us until DCRM(B) undergoes a major revision?

-----Original Message-----
From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Smith, Eileen
Sent: Monday, 17 October 2011 13:34
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] B3: query for those experienced with books signed with Greek characters

The handful or two of books with Greek signatures that I've catalogued have all had lowercase characters, so while I believe it would be useful to add a chart for uppercase characters, I would not want it to replace the chart of lowercase ones.

Eileen L. Smith
Catalog Librarian, Rare Book Team
Yale University Library

--